Solve (almost) any business obstacle
- Chris Haycock
- Thursday, April 25, 2019
Here's a technique I use (almost daily) to solve business obstacles, problems and challenges:
If you're having an issue with something, it's easier to resolve it if you play it out in your head whilst you're completely focused and relaxed.
Remember how great it felt when you were "away with the fairies", daydreaming out of the window as a child? That's where we are going.
- Get yourself relaxed and comfortable with no distractions, sitting or lying down.
- Close your eyes, take a few deep breaths and let your mind and body relax completely.
- Now, in your mind imagine you're at the top of a large staircase. Start walking down the stairs, counting down with each step for each breath you take, from 50 (the top) to 0 (the bottom). With each step, relax your body a little more. Keep your mind focused only on the stairs, the numbers and how relaxed you feel. This helps focus your mind.
- Once you're at the bottom your mind and body should feel "in the zone". You'll know when that happens, because although you're aware of your surroundings, you'll feel as though you are completely inside your mind.
- You're ready for the deep visualisation. Now, begin to think of the challenge or problem you're trying to overcome. Act it out inside your mind, allowing your mind to run wild. You'll notice a lot of wacky thoughts floating around, but they're great too. Don't ignore them - some of my best ideas/answers have come from these crazy thoughts.
- Allow yourself as much time as you need in this state of mind. Most of my sessions require around 20 or 30 minutes, but if you're still at it after an hour it really doesn't matter. What matters more is that you're playing out your thoughts inside your mind.
- Let your subconscious thoughts trickle through into your consciousness. Often, our deeper subconscious mind already has the answer.
- Try to put the best ideas you have into an imaginary box inside your mind. This will help you to remember them later.
- When you're done, take a deep breath and count from 0 to 10 slowly. With each number, gradually become more and more aware of your surroundings again.
- When you get to 10, open your eyes but don't move for a minute or two. Remember that imaginary box? Open it up and visualise as much as you can in your (now) conscious mind.
- Grab a pen and paper and write it all down.
- You're done. Now go and solve your problem.
This is a really effective way to overcome challenges you may be facing.
Some of you will notice the similarities to meditation, self hypnosis or even daydreaming. They're all very similar techniques designed to tap into your subconsciousness. It's all powerful stuff.
The technique is also great for organising a big project or activity, because you can visualise it all in advance, allowing you to play it all out in your mind, and compartmentalising all the finer details to get them in order.
If you give this technique a try, let me know how you get on.